Thursday, September 3, 2026

The Comparison That Hurts Most Is Not With Others - It Is With Ourselves.

Recently, during a session one of the concept I spoke was on Comparison Trap.

I put up a simple picture of an apple and an orange and asked the room -

“Which is the better fruit?”

Some said, Apple | Some said, Orange.

And one person, who had been listening closely, smiled and said: “You cannot compare.”

I just had a subtle smile on my face, because I felt – someone caught my hindsight.

Perhaps the more interesting question was not which fruit is better, but:
Why did we feel compelled to answer a question whose premise itself was flawed?

We are often like that.

We rush to answer before questioning the question.
We rush to form an opinion before examining the premise.
And somewhere between the two, we enter one of the most exhausting psychological loops of human behaviour:

Comparison.

We are compared by others. And we compare ourselves with others.

And then there is a third, far more evolved possibility: We stop allowing comparison to define us.

The first can feel deeply unsettling.

Someone compares our career with another person's.
Our appearance with someone else's. Our achievements with a colleague's. Our children with someone else's children. Our lifestyle, income, relationships, credentials, influence - even our pace of life - with somebody else's.

Sometimes we retaliate. Sometimes we defend ourselves. And sometimes, we simply go quiet. Because being compared can feel like being reduced.

As though our entire journey, circumstances, struggles and strengths can somehow be compressed into a single scoreboard.

But there is an uncomfortable truth here: We cannot control how others compare us.

What we can control is what we do with the comparison once it enters our mind.

And that brings us to the more interesting and often more painful - form of comparison:

The comparison we make with ourselves.

We compare ourselves with people who appear more successful, accomplished, attractive, influential or fulfilled. The list is endless.

That reminds me to quote Leon Festinger’s Social Comparison Theory that human beings have a fundamental tendency to evaluate themselves by comparing their abilities and opinions with those of others.

Decades of research, since then has explored what happens when that comparison is upward - when we look at someone who appears to be ahead of us.

Sometimes it inspires us. Motivates us.
And sometimes, it quietly wounds us.

But I think there is another distinction worth making.  Not every comparison hurts equally.

And that is where the psychology becomes fascinating.

Why does one person's success bother us - while another's doesn't?

Think about it.

You see someone achieve something extraordinary—something so far beyond what you believe you could do that you simply admire it.

“That's incredible.”

You don't feel diminished.  Why?

Because somewhere within you, you've already placed that achievement outside your current possibility.

Now see someone doing something you genuinely believe you could do too.

They built the career you wanted. Developed the body you keep postponing.
Earned the qualification you've talked about for years. Started the business you once imagined.
Wrote the book. Travelled alone. Took the risk. Changed careers. Created something.

And suddenly, their success feels different.

It doesn't just show you what they have achieved. It confronts you with what you haven't.

That is when comparison becomes uncomfortable.

Because sometimes, we aren't threatened by how far someone else has gone.

We're disturbed by the possibility that we could have gone there too.

The person ahead of us becomes a mirror.

Not a mirror of their life - but of our unfinished one.

Their success silently asks: “If they could move forward, why haven't you?”

And that question can be far more uncomfortable than their achievement.

Because somewhere within, we may already know:

I could have done this. I could have been there. I had the ability.  I simply did not act on it.

And that creates the real conflict - not between us and them, but between what we believe we can become and what we are actually doing about it.

Perhaps, then, comparison is not always the enemy.

Unexamined comparison is.

Critical question is not: “Why are they ahead of me?”

It is: “Why does their being ahead of me affect me so deeply?”

And perhaps an even more important one is “Is this comparison revealing something I genuinely want or something I merely think I should want?”

Because not every mountain visible from our window is ours to climb.

We are not apples. We are not oranges.

We are people with different starting points, circumstances, choices, opportunities, responsibilities and timelines.

An apple does not become inferior because it is not an orange.

And an orange does not need to become an apple to establish its worth.

The mistake begins when we create a scoreboard where there was never supposed to be one.

But there is one comparison worth making.

Not: “Am I better than them?”

But - “Am I becoming better than the person I was?”

That comparison is harder.

Because there is nowhere to hide.

There is no external circumstance to blame.
No stranger to compete with. No colleague to resent. No social-media profile to scrutinize.

Only us and the uncomfortable distance between our potential and our effort.

And perhaps that is the most important insight about comparison: The person who unsettles us most may not be the person standing ahead of us.

It may be the person we know we could have become - if only we recognize and ready to start

And maybe, instead of resenting the mirror, we should finally listen to what it is trying to tell us.

No comments:

Post a Comment