Sunday, February 3, 2019

Fountainhead Series: "If they can’t manage vegetables, I wonder how will they manage their lives"

It was late night by 9:30pm and I was walking down to my place, there I saw a vegetable hand cart with tomatoes and few more fresh veggies.  Picked up and then pulled my cotton bag and held in front.

He saw my face and said – Wish everyone can get a bag like this, there is no need to use plastic covers.

I was taken a back from his statement and asked, you seem to be nature friendly person, and said don’t give plastic covers.

“We don’t want to give it, but people who come here need it, if I don’t give it, they will go to another place to buy, and my livelihood depends on everyday’s earning.

Hmmm. That’s a valid point, I said. Wish everyone has little bit of knowledge like you.

All I know is plastic does not mix with soil and animals eat it as well and it is harmful for us too after a point.  I don’t mind giving one plastic cover, there are people who will ask to put five varities in five different covers. They say they cannot go home and manage it. All five covers directly get into fridge as is, as they have no time to separate it.

If they can’t manage vegetables, I wonder how will they manage their lives.

His statements made me think while walking back home – his compassion towards nature, and his last statement left me pondering.

This is Mani – vegetable hand cart vendor. He can be seen little ahead of Katriguppe circle(BLR) near the curve on the left of the road as we head to Vidyapeeta circle. 

3 comments:

  1. yes he is 200% right, i am called bag uncle in my area. i always carry a big bag and smaller ones 2/3 one for flowers, another for masala curries like chille, karipaka etc. another for peas, small onion etc i hardly find it difficult to carry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Wish each of us do a bit, which isn't difficult, there is so much of contribution towards plastic usage reduction.

      Delete