Saturday, February 23, 2019

Fountainhead Series: Open & Closed Gates


It was Sunday afternoon, and I was into cleaning mode. A continuous honking started disrupting music that was on. The noise was heard evidently as the room is just above the pathway from basement leading to main road.

Honking is routine for most – helmets & headsets on or windows closed, it might not reach to an irritation level when on the move. How does it feel to hear someone honking continuously? It would annoy anybody after a point. I tried ignoring it for a minute or so, but when it continued – I could not resist peeping out.

It was a white sedan, around 5 feet away from the main gate, honking as if the entire energy in his body was concentrated in his hands. I saw the fuss for 30 more seconds and was a little irked because plausibly it would hardly take 15 seconds to pull the hand brake, get down, open the gate, and drive away.

Now he pulled his window panes and started shouting ‘Security, security ….’

The entire drama of honking and shouting went on for another 3 minutes. I could not hold back anymore – I put on my slippers and went down, by then the car just passed out of the gate. The poor security guy had come running all the way to just open the gate. I gave a cross look and said – “He could have opened it himself, what’s the big deal in it”. His straight-faced response was – “There are very few who think we are humans too. “

Honestly, I felt bad for both. How thoughtless & inconsiderate of the white sedan driver and how indifferent one behaves with people involved in what we term as menial jobs.

While I took the stairs back home – a thought passed by: How can you open the gate in front of you if you have your gates closed from within.

No comments:

Post a Comment